Tuesday, December 10, 2013

List Making Time

At any time of year, I am a list making person.  I have a current notebook at all times, where I have my weekly lists of things to do, errands to run, and shopping lists.  In the back, there are more long term lists of projects, shopping wish lists and gift ideas, future craft I want to try, and parenting strategies to implement.  I'd be lost without that notebook.

But at Christmas time, I suddenly find myself at the store with my notebook full of cryptic notes in case anyone else happens to glance at the page, and at least 2 or 3 other lists I'm consulting as I peruse the aisles.  There's the party list for the annual brunch we host, the kids' wish lists, my gifts idea list, and my master gifts list of what we have actually planned to buy/have already bought.  Sometimes I feel like I'm juggling all my thoughts on paper, and then wonder if it really is easier to keep track of the papers than keep track of the ideas in my head.  But I love the making of the lists, even if they do possibly make my life even more complicated.

This year, the kids have added a new twist to it all--separate lists for Santa and family, and they've been changing their lists every week for the last month.  In the beginning, I was grateful for all the ideas, but now that the shopping is pretty much done, I'm don't really like the declaration, "This is what I want, more than anything!" attached to a new list of items that we are pretty sure Santa isn't going to bring them.

No comments: