Thursday, December 5, 2013

Season's Greetings

I find it funny that I'm writing about Christmas cards today, and we just got our first two cards in the mail today, AND I just picked up our cards at Costco this morning.  So holiday cards are on my mind.

We don't end up sending cards every year.  Every 2 or 3 years, the stars don't align in time and we skip the mass mailing to all our friends and family.  And these days, with facebook and blogging, I don't feel as guilty when we skip it because the majority of our Christmas card recipients already know what we've been up to all year, and what we look like. 

But I still love every card that we get in the mail.  I love the fact that for one month every year, there might be something a little more exciting in the mailbox than a bill or catalog.  I love reading people's holiday letters, sometimes clever, sometimes funny, sometimes just heartfelt and sincere.  I love that we will get 2 or 3 cards each year that we were completely not expecting--from someone who just hasn't done cards before, or from friends we haven't even heard from in several years.

Every year, I worry that our cardholder isn't going to fill up because so many people have resorted to e-greetings and physical cards are no longer popular.  But every year, the cards eventually come and I'm grateful that people are still willing to send old fashioned greetings.  This year, we will also be carrying on the tradition.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I feel the same way. Every year I wonder if it's worth the trouble and expense when most everyone on my list is also a Facebook friend, but there is just something I like about sending a real card to people that I like and getting real cards from them too. I just like it. Ours will be in the mail soon :)