Saturday, December 6, 2014

Christmas Calm


Most years, the stress of trying to get everything done by Christmas Eve gets to me at one point or another. I end up snapping and dreaming of running away because all I really want by then is to be alone, away from all the noise, mess, demands, and "togetherness" that seems to bring out the worst in all of us.

This year, I have made a conscious decision that I am not going to let things and to do lists affect the way I treat the people I love. Getting everything done isn't as important as taking the time to snuggle with the kids at bedtime while we read a story. Making it to every event doesn't matter if I have to yell to get there.

Most of my shopping is done, the few things I have left aren't because I don't know what I'm getting, but because I have too many ideas and we have to narrow down the final list. I do have a couple things I'm still trying to make, but most of the crafting I want to do this year is pretty low-key. If I don't finish it, it will wait until another year.

And that is what I keep telling myself about all of it. If we miss a day on the advent calendar, it doesn't matter; we can pick it up the next day. Or not.  If we don't make it to some of our traditional outings (like the tree lighting that I couldn't find details for), we probably won't miss them. Watching a Christmas movie while eating popcorn and Peppermint Joe-Joes might be even more fun, and definitely a lot easier.

I've spent the last two evenings snuggled under a blanket, blogging by the light of the Christmas tree before bed. The living room floor is scattered with Christmas books that the kids left out, the stove needs cleaning and the dishwasher is full of clean dishes (and last night, the only reason the sink wasn't totally full of dirty dishes was because I'd used paper plates), but that will all still be there in the morning and I've gone to bed happy.

That is my goal for this Christmas. To slow down and be happy.

1 comment:

Khigglake said...

I am inspired by these great words! Sometimes as mothers we forget that our children long for our company not what we served dinner or made for their classrooms. Holidays equals family. We cherish your annual gathering! It gives us a chance to slow down to count our blessings each year! Thanks Mercers...you are a neighbors dream!